Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Word Spring 2013

This has been a very strange few months with my experiences in Paris, the Sothebys Pre-colmbian sale, and the Neret-Minet Hopi sale. I have commented on much of this in this issue. This past week I also visited the Indiana University Art Museum where I was given a fair opportunity to express my concerns to the museum director and representatives of the IU Foundation and the Provost's Office. I have given my word that before commenting further I would give Dr. Gealt the opportunity to review my comments and respond. Hopefully this can be done in the next issue of the Newsletter. At this point I think it is important to note that the meeting was productive and there was a good exchange of ideas. It is my opinion at this point that Indiana University does want to protect the Wilegus collection certainly because it is the right thing to do but also because they understand the international attention a collection of this quality can bring. The IU leadership seems by their projected plans to welcome this opportunity to increase the visibility of both the museum  and the university. JB

No comments: