Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Meet the Interns 2015

Maria Hotovy is currently a junior at the University of Dallas, working towards an art degree with an emphasis in painting. Born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska, she has had a passion for the arts from a young age, with continued involvement in art, drama, music, and writing. By spending a semester studying abroad in Rome, Italy she was able to further her education by experiencing classical art and architecture, as well as immersion in Italian culture. She loves to travel, having been to Spain, France, Greece, Ireland, England, and yes, even Canada. She is excited for the opportunity to learn more about the world of art appraisal and authentication, and plans to pursue a career in the field of art.


Hello, I am Codie Barry, and I am delighted to be one of the Spring 2015 interns at Shango Gallery. I am a junior English and Art History major at the University of Dallas. I have always been interested in the art world, but being artistically challenged, I decided criticizing other people’s art would have to be the way to go.  I am originally from Los Angeles, California but have found myself in Dallas, somewhat unintentionally. I also lived in Rome for five months and travelled to France, Hungary, England, Turkey, Greece, and Serbia, so I am no stranger to being somewhere new. My travels have taught me that every culture is different, but are motivated by much of the same values and desires. The art of one civilization looks different from another, but the common human spirit is found everywhere. I love Art Deco, the Futurists, Dadaism, and the Cubists, and my favorite type of tribal art is the art made by the old civilizations in Russian and Eastern Europe. I am thrilled to be learning so much about authentication, restoration, and appraisal here at Shango.

No comments: